There is a big conversation on my Facebook page about dairy free cheese substitutes, so I thought I would share my recipe for Dairy Free Cheese Substitute. This works great in Lasagna, Calzones, Pizza. Store any extra in the freezer.
Recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Cheese Substitute
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound medium to firm tofu
- 3 Tbsp good olive oil
- 2 Tbsp ume plum vinegar
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- additional optional spices such as rosemary or thyme
Press the water out of the tofu by holding it between two paper towels and pressing it out.
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor except the optional spices. Start with 2 tablespoons ume plum vinegar and add more as your taste desires. Process until smooth and creamy.
Taste and add more salt if needed. Add optional herbs and pulse until combined.
Yields about 2 cups.
Click HERE for a Printable Version of this Recipe.
Health Benefits of Nutritional Yeast and Where to Buy It:
I use Red Star Nutrtional Yeast which is gluten free. You can find it at most health stores or you can purchase Red Star Nutritional Yeast - VSF Mini Flake -- 5 oz Each from Amazon.com.
You can use it anytime you want to give something that cheese-like flavor.
And they say it is good for you. According to RED STAR,
Primary-grown nutritional yeast is an excellent source of protein, containing an average of 50% protein by weight. Its amino acid profile is complementary to that of grains and legumes such as corn, wheat and soy. In addition, Red Star Nutritional Yeast is a rich source of dietary fiber and contains a wealth of vitamins and minerals, particularly the B vitamins.
In addition, Red Star Nutritional Yeast contains other beneficial components, such as beta-1,3 glucan and mannan, complex carbohydrates known to improve the immune response and help maintain cholesterol levels that are already within a healthy range; trehalose, a disaccharide that helps maintain the health of brain cells; and glutathione, an antioxidant that plays an important role in cellular defense mechanisms.* Red Star Nutritional Yeast contains approximately 2.5 mg. of glutathione per gram of yeast.
- A "super" food, providing nutrition and enhancing flavor in your favorite meals, drinks and snacks
- An excellent source of protein, containing essential and non-essential amino acids
- Rich in B-complex vitamins, which are important for energy production
- A natural source of additional beneficial components, such as beta-1,3 glucan and mannan, trehalose and glutathione
- Naturally low in fat and salt, with no added preservatives, flavors or colors
- Kosher certified (excluding Passover)
- Naturally gluten-free