Quesadillas were once upon a time a quick and easy go-to meal at our house.
I loved the ease and convenience and the family just loved the taste.
But we have struggled over the last couple of years to find a good gluten free tortilla. I have made them from scratch, but when you spend an hour making the tortillas for the quesadillas it is no longer a convenience meal.
For a while we were using Brown Rice Tortillas and I loved them, but we stopped using them when the Gluten Free Watchdog tested them and found they contained more than 20 ppm gluten (they have subsequently been re-tested and were well under that limit but I never heard an explanation as to why they tested above it in the first place and so I just don't trust them).
Then along came Udi with their new Gluten Free Plain Tortillas and quesadillas were back on the table.
They are made mostly of starch and some sweet rice flour so they are also dairy, soy and nut free - too hard to eat right out of the bag but pliable once you warm them in the microwave. Just warm them and they will make a nice wrap for lunch.
I have to say that our family of five gave them a four star rating - that is four of us were completely thumbs up but my Gluten Free Teen did not like them. I know celiacs don't like to be called picky eaters, so I will just say she has a very discerning palate and she thought they were too soft. The rest of us totally loved them.
They are thicker tortillas than I have used in the past so I did have to cook them a little longer to get them to be crispy. But the flavor was delicious.
Click HERE to find a store near you. They sell for $5.20 for a pack of six large tortillas or $4.35 for an eight pack of small tortillas.
Quesadillas are so easy, I am not even sure you need a recipe but here is one just in case.
Recipe for Gluten Free Quesadilla
- 8 tsp canola oil
- 8 gluten free tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- Any optional toppings such as: cubed cooked chicken, turkey, pork or beef, black beans, salsa, sauteed onions and/or red peppers, GF re-fried beans, mushrooms
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet, add one tortilla. Layer with ¼ cup cheddar cheese, ¼ cup Monterrey Jack cheese and whatever other optional ingredients you like. Top with the second tortilla. Cover and heat until cheese melts and bottom tortilla is crisp and golden brown.
- Turn over and cook until bottom tortilla is crisp and golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges; serve with sour cream, salsa or guacamole if desired.
Click HERE for a printable version of this recipe.
Now for the Giveaway
Not only did Udi bring quesadillas back into our meal rotation, they also sent me coupons to giveaway.Winner will receive a coupon for one free Udi’s gluten-free product. The coupons are good through May.
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- One entry per person
- Enter by leaving one comment on this post or one comment on my Facebook page.
- The giveaway begins now and ends on March 1st, 2013 at 12:00 pm pacific time.
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winners will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 24 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
Disclaimer: I was provided with free product to sample, but was not paid to write this review. The opinions in this post are my own.