It feels like fall to me! Time to put away the swim suits and flip flops; pull on the fleece and Ugg slippers and dig into some good old fashioned comfort food.
Of course, ours will be gluten free (and dairy free if I want to eat it), and quick and easy.
But gluten free brownies are the easiest thing to cook from scratch. You can mix these together in under 15 minutes. The scratch brownies taste so much better!
Recipe for Gluten Free Brownies
- 5 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (I used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, Gluten, Dairy & Soy Free
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I used Sunspire Foods, Organic 100% Unsweetened Baking Bar, 12/4 Oz
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into quarters (For casein free replace with 6 tbsp Earth Balance and 2 tbsp Coconut Oil)
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder (Hershey's is gluten free)
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Gluten Free Flour (this recipe is very forgiving so any GF flour mix will work)
- If the GF flour does not contain xanthan gum, add 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum to the GF flour
Preheat the oven to 350° F and oil an 8-inch square baking dish.
You can prepare the warm chocolate mix in two ways. The traditional method would be in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter (or butter alternative), stirring occasionally until smooth. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to cool.
My busy mom method (which works just fine for me) is to add the two kinds of chocolate and butter (0r butter alternative) in a microwave proof bowl and microwave 20 seconds, stir and microwave another 20 seconds. Repeat if the chocolate is still not melted. Then stir in the cocoa powder.
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt; whisk until combined.
Stir in the warm chocolate mixture until incorporated (try not to lick your fingers).
Then stir in the GF flour (and xanthan gum if needed) until just combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bounce it a couple of times on the counter to spread it evenly.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it.
It will be hot right out of the oven, but I pulled me out just as we sat down for dinner. By dessert time, it was cooled enough that we could eat it, but oh so warm and molten. Melted on the tongue. Absolutely delightful! Would be even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Cut into squares as desired. If there is any left over, store in an air-tight container.