Happy Mother's Day to all of you wonderful gluten free moms!
I know who you are~
I see you in the isles of the grocery story pouring over the ingredient list on food labels.
I know how you felt when your child was sick and you could not figure out why and you felt like it was your fault.
I hear from you when it is late at night and you are searching the web for gluten free birthday cake recipes or suggestions for sack lunches.
I sympathize with your agony over the initial struggle of "going gluten free."
I feel your delight in finally having a healthy, thriving family.
I know you understand the simple pleasure of feeding your family a healthy meal.
I am one of you, and I love you-all, so special blessings to you today!!
From one Gluten Free Mom to another, here is one of our favorite salads.
It is simple and easily gluten free and takes about a minute to make.
Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad
- 2 tablespoon good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 - 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (we like Roma tomatoes)
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (mozzarella balls and disks work great as well)
- 6 to 8 large fresh basil leaves, sliced thin
- salt to taste
Layer the bottom of a plate or bowl with mozzarella cheese and add the tomatoes.
Top with basil leaves.
Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and add salt to taste.
**Since I am casein free, I make my own bowl without the cheese. After you are finished, dip your gluten free bread into the leftover sauce for an extra special treat.
My recipes are indexed on Gluten Free Mom.com.