These are our absolutely favorite pancakes.
Even company loves them and, Mom, you can feel good about cooking them since buckwheat is a whole-grain flour.
Top with your favorite syrup, a sprinkle of powdered sugar mixed with cinnamon, and you have a gluten free gourmet-looking breakfast.
I normally double this recipe.
Gluten and Casein Free Buckwheat Pancakes
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (I use Bob's Redmill)
- 2.5 T brown sugar
- 2 t baking powder (Hain is gluten free)
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk (of course regular milk is fine, we are also casein free so we use almond milk)
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 t vanilla
- 1/2 cup GF pancake mix (optional if you'd like a fluffier pancake)
Mix together and cook as normal pancakes. Use less milk for thicker pancakes. Watch these, they tend to burn a little faster. We double the recipe for our family of five. The leftovers can easily be popped in the toaster for a school morning breakfast.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup corn syrup (Karo is gf)
- 2 t lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh berries of one kind. We like blueberries and raspberries.
Mix together and microwave for 5 minutes. Use a large enough container so that it will not boil over. It will expand while it is cooking.