What's for dinner tonight? A cool fall evening (in our case wet evening) is the perfect night for a big bowl of Lentil Soup. And, yes, my kids love this soup. We put tostitos in the bottom of the soup bowl to make getting to the bottom even more enticing.
Recipe for Gluten Free Lentil Soup
- 1 large yellow or white onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (Pacific Natural Foods says Gluten Free on it and is available at Costco)
- 1 cup dried lentils (washed and sorted)
- 2 chopped carrots
- 3 ribs celery
- 2 small red potatoes diced, or whatever you have on hand
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 t dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 T fresh basil or 1 T dried
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1 t oregano
- 1/2 pound sausage (this is optional but makes it extra yummy. We use Beelers www.beelerspurepork.com)
In a large soup pan, crumble and brown the sausage in olive oil. Be sure to cook it all the way through. Set aside on paper towels to drain.
Add a little more olive oil, and saute the onions and garlic until soft - about 3 minutes.
Add the liquid (you can use all stock and no water, but that flavor is a little overwhelming for my kids. They definately prefer the stock/water combination). Next add all of the ingredients except the reserved sausage - add the lentils, carrots, celery, potatoes, parsley, bay leaf, basil, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and oregano.
Cover and simmer on low for 1 1/4 hours or more. Check your seasonings and add more salt or pepper as desired. Cook another 30 minutes or so until lentils are done.